Hello scary friends! I have a horror short story coming out in this new anthology from Clan Destine Press, edited by the magnificent Narrelle Harris. It’s called CLAMOUR AND MISCHIEF and it features a raft of amazing talent.
My story, “the Language of Birds”, is set around a Johannesburg Hebrew school in 1985. It’s supposed to read a bit like the Coen brothers doing an Alan Moore story. I hope you creeps and killers like it.
Clamour and Mischief
Edited by Narrelle M Harris
A clamour of rooks. A mischief of magpies. A storytelling of crows.
All the corvids – the rooks and ravens, the jays and jackdaws, the crows and magpies – have the best collective nouns. A parliament and a party. Tidings and titterings, bands and trains. An unkindness.
Clamour and Mischief brings a veritable storytelling of crows to the corvidae, the bird family known for intelligence and cunning and for their connection with folklore and urban legends. These storytellers come from around the world and include award-winning and -shortlisted authors as well as emerging writers and fledgling authors in their professional debut.
This anthology’s sixteen striking stories are imbued with all the humour, darkness, wisdom, artfulness, vengefulness and magic of the birds that inspired them. Take them as a jest, a guide, or a warning – but don’t, whatever you do, ignore them!
Narrelle M Harris and Clan Destine Press are proud to announce the Table of Contents for Clamour and Mischief, due for release in the last quarter of 2022.
“Once upon a Midnight” by Raymond Gates
· “All That Glitters” by GV Pearce
· “Sleuthing for a Cause” by Eugen Bacon
· “The Past is not a Present” by Geneve Flynn
· “Watchers” by Alex Marchant
· “The Song of Crows” by Jack Fennell
· “Kūpara and Tekoteko” by Lee Murray
· “Build Another Nest for Phantom Feathers” by RJK Lee
· “Branwen and the Three Ravens” by Dannye Chase
· “Seven for a Secret” by Narrelle M Harris
· “The Girl and the Crow” by R.D. White
· “The Jackdaw Maiden” by Katya de Becerra
· “The Language of Birds” by Jason Franks
· “Murder of Crows” by George Ivanoff
· “The Devil’s Teeth” by Tamara M Bailey
· “Quoth the Raven” by Gabiann Marin
Looking forward to reading your story and all the others.